A brand new kitchen in a brand new apartment is like a blank canvas just waiting for you to make it your own… It’s just waiting for you to add in your personality and flare. If you’re smart, you’ll try to combine pretty with practical. A kitchen isn’t just another place to hang out, you work and cook in there as well, so it also needs to be functional. Below are 5 stylish and practical design ideas to try out in your new kitchen.
- Try adding in free standing storage. If you’re like me, there can never be enough storage space. But if done properly, it can be a stylish way to display your dishware or statement dining places. If you’re already set on the amount of cabinet space you have in your kitchen, try adding in a cute bar or wine rack. If placed properly, it can break up your kitchen area and add a level of sophistication to the space (I mean, what says ‘grown up’ more than a bar in your apartment, right?!)
- Pick a space in your kitchen and turn it into a coffee station. Design that space to completely satisfy the coffee lover in your family. Pick a cabinet right next to the coffee pot that you can store your filters, coffee grounds, sugar and cream and make it all easily accessible. Decorate the space by hanging your cutest coffee mugs above the coffee pot or decorate the space with mason jars filled with sugar, cinnamon and anything else you love in your coffee. Make it adorable and something you enjoy.
- Decide what you want to do with the rest of your counter space. If a clutter free space is more your style, find a home for all your kitchen belongings in the cabinets and place a bowl of fruit or a vase of beautiful flowers on your counter. Simple is always nice. Or you can spruce things up by stacking gorgeous wood cutting boards in one corner and creating a cookbook library in another. Again, figure out what makes you happy and do that!
- Add in plants of some kind – a small indoor herb garden, some succulents, some fresh flowers you bought for yourself.. anything! Plants bring life to any room they are in. They make the space more enjoyable and quite frankly, help you to want to spend more time in that space. We could all use a little extra kick in the pants to cook at home more. This could help with that… or it may not. But either way, your kitchen will be warm and welcoming.
- FInish the space off with a piece of artwork or decor that you love. The key to decorating any space is to fill it with things that make you HAPPY. Your kitchen is no exception. Pick a piece or pieces that make you smile when you look at it and you can’t go wrong.
Sometimes a kitchen can be the last space we think about decorating. But it happens to be just as important as any other room in your home. It’s a space where you cook with loved ones, eat healthy meals, dance, sing, have deep, meaningful conversations with loved ones.. It can be argued this is one of the most important rooms in the whole house! Don’t neglect it! Use the tips above to make the most of your new apartment kitchen space.